Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Little Moment in Target

We were standing in line at Target. Oliver was being surprisingly well-behaved but had just managed to swing a leg over the side of the cart, declaring that he wanted a toy. Penny was hungry and starting to fuss a little, so in my attempt to appease her I dangled these toy keys in front of her face, her eyes growing wide with wonder at the bouncing noise and color.
I checked out with Oliver talking, talking, talking. And then I heard him gasp and say, "Mommy, look at Penny". I had finished my transaction so I absentmindedly began to push, assuming Oliver was complaining about the fact that Penny had a toy and why can't he have a toy and etc.
I took a breathe to explain that I hadn't actually bought her a toy when I noticed Oliver standing behind Penny's car seat, in the shopping cart, looking down at her with the biggest, elated grin. "Look Mommy, Penny is holding her keys," he gasped excitedly. "She's never done that before!"
Sure enough, looking as pleased as an almost three month old can, Penny had grasped the keys and was shake, shake, shaking them. I looked at Oliver and he looked at me and we both crowed and praised and smiled. It brought tears to my eyes and my world got smaller. I looked at the cashier; surely she was interested in the miraculous undertaking of my infant or the even more mystical joy from her beaming older brother. Instead, I realized I was blocking the person behind me from paying and I pushed forward, so proud of Penelope, but even more so of Oliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment